Broadbandtrends recently conducted a global service provider survey of broadband operators regarding their plans to deploy 10G PON technology within their network. 10G PON offers operators the opportunity to offer both higher bandwidth and symmetrical services, while simultaneously addressing the bandwidth, latency and the densification requirements of the emerging 5G network.
Key findings of the survey include the following:
- XGS-PON is the 10G PON technology of choice to serve both residential and business segments
- Cost remains the greatest concern facing operators planning to deploy 10G PON
- The ability to have a converged architecture supporting multiple applications as well as reusing the existing passive ODN are the key drivers for implementation of 10G technologies.
- Business services will be the primary initial applications for 10G PON deployments, followed by residential triple-play, with mobile network support in the future
- Deployment of 10G PON for residential applications is not expected until 2020 for the majority of operators
- Although 10G PON can offer very high bandwidth – the majority of operators only plan to offer 2-5Gbps to the residential market segment
- The majority of operators are expected to take a step-wise migration path in their 10G PON evolution, with NG-PON2 adoption not expected until 2020 or later for most operators
- The need for even higher bandwidth PONs (25G) is not expected until 2024 or later
- ADTRAN was the perceived 10G PON leader across all categories followed by Nokia and Huawei
GPON remains the most prevalent FTTH technology. However, its current bandwidth capabilities and its asymmetric characteristics do not provide enough capacity to support the expected growth in bandwidth demand. Therefore, operators are looking at the latest iterations of the PON standard – 10G PON – for their future network requirements. At present, there are a variety of 10G options available to operators – including 10G EPON, XG-PON, XGS-PON and NG-PON2.
NG-PON2 is considered the ‘ultimate” future proof technology – offering multiple wavelengths supporting up to 40Gbps (and even higher in the future!) and capable of serving multiple/different segments on each individual wavelength. Additionally, the ability to bond wavelengths together to offer even higher bandwidth options, positions this technology well for future bandwidth growth.
Key characteristics that are attracting operators to these next-generation PON solutions include the ability to offer a converged network for both residential and business services, along with the ability to re-use many portion of their existing optical distribution network (ODN). However, the cost associated with 10G and the ROI timeframes remain key concerns.
Unlike previous PON networks – which primarily served residential customers; the variety of applications that can be supported with 10G PON along with new market segments could help ease cost concerns for operators. As such, many operators are initially targeting the high-value business/enterprise segments for their early deployments to achieve a faster ROI. Finally, a number of vendors are offering flexible optics that allows a 10G PON OLT to utilize multiple types of optical transceivers to achieve best cost alignment and ease cost concerns. Finally, vendors are also introducing innovative solutions to over-come the “interoperability” concern, helping to accelerate time to market for new product introduction.
Broadbandtrends’ Global Service Provider 10G PON Deployment Strategies survey analyzes the results from interviews with 36 incumbent and competitive operators in all major regions, about their plans and deployment strategies for 10G PON. The report provides a global overview of the results as well as commentary on any notable regional differences found in the results.
Key Questions Answered in this study includes the following:
- What are operator timelines for the deployment of 10G PON?
- Which 10G PON technology will be deployed and which market segments will it serve?
- What are the key drivers for deployment of 10G PON technology?
- What are the top challenges/concerns related to the deployment of10G PON technology?
- Which services will be deployed via 10G PON?
- What is the timeframe for residential 10G PON deployment?
- What multi-gigabit speeds will operators offer in the residential market?
- Which 10G PON migration path will operators take?
- What is their timeframe to migrate to NG-PON2?
- How important is Nx10G Wavelengths for NG-PON2
- When do operators expect to need 25G PON solutions?
- Which vendors are operators most familiar with for 10G PON Solutions?
- Which vendors are perceived as leaders for 10G PON Product Performance, 10G PON Deployment Experience, 10G PON Product Roadmap, 10G PON Pricing, and 10G PON Service & Support?
Vendors evaluated included: ADTRAN, Calix, DASAN/Zhone Technologies, Fiberhome, Huawei, Iskratel, KEYMILE, Nokia, ZTE, and ZyXEL.
This Report is 25-pages in length with (19) Figures and (1) Tables is available for purchase for $2495(USD). To order this report, please contact us at 540.725.9774 or via email at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally this report may be purchased online at www.broadbandtrends.com/reports